To book an appointment with our elder/advisor click here.
In The News
- Elder Shelley Charles was invited to Chippewa's of Georgina Island to bless the new Georgina Island Police Boat. To read the full article, click here!
- Our Humber Elder/ Advisor was generously asked to give her words to be in the Ontario book "The Journey Together, Ontario's Commitment to Reconcilation with Indigenous Peoples." To read the article, click here.
- Elder Shelley Charles was interviewed by student reporter Samantha Singh from Humber Radio on the crisis happening in Attawapiskat First Nation. To listen to the radio clip, click here!
- Elder Shelley Charles sat down with student journalist, Evan Millar, to give her insight on the Federal Goverment's discrimination against Aboriginal children. Read the full article from Humber News here.
- The CICan Awards of Excellence, which recognize achievement within Canada’s college system, were handed out in a ceremony in Winnipeg May 2015. Three awards were won by Humber, including gold for Internationalization Excellence and bronze for Indigenous Education Excellence. To read more about it, click here!
Select the title of the article to view full feature:
Ontario retrofits two rooms for aboriginal ceremonies
Ontario Government to Deliver Response to Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Final Report
Ontario's Commitment to Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples
Full text of Kathleen Wynne's formal apology to indigenous peoples
Kathleen Wynne officially apologizes to Indigenous communities for 'generations of abuse'
Ontario to deliver official response on Truth and Reconciliation Commission report Monday
Increasing majority believe Indigenous Canadians experience discrimination: survey
Ontario premier officially apologizes for 'silence' on residential schools
Congratulations to Shelley Charles
Powwow at Lakeshore Campus 'a celebration of life'
Over the years, Elder in the news...
Operations Manual for Small Non-Profit Arts Organizations: Ontario Federation of Indian Friendship Centres (O.F.I.F.C.)
Humber Et Cetera - Truth and Reconciliation Commission findings to be presented at Humber - Nov 13 - 2015
Humber Et Cetera - Sisters In Spirit Holds Vigil - Oct 10 - 2014.pdf
Humber Et Cetera - Aboriginal Resource Centre Opens - Jan 27 - 2014.pdf
Humber College Presents 'Aboriginal Week'
Humber Et Cetera - Aboriginal Sensitivity Training - Dec 2 - 2013_1.pdf
Humber News - Aboriginal residence floor in the works for Humber College - Mar 25 - 2013.pdf
Humber Et Cetera - Aboriginal powwow a life celebration - Nov 29 - 2012.pdf
Humber Et Cetera - Native Knowledge program open to all - Feb 9 - 2012_0.pdf
Humber Life - Elder shares traditions, knowledge with students - Oct 6 - 2011.pdf
Humber Et Cetera - Aboriginal judge visits Humber - Apr 7 - 2011.pdf
Humber Life - Education for aboriginal north - Mar 24 - 2011.pdf
Humber Et Cetera - Strike sparks arboretum clean up - Oct 13 - 2011.pdf
Humber Life - A canoe is born in Humber pond - Nov 10 - 2010.pdf
- Aboriginal Relations Restructuring Announcement: Beginning April 4th, Shelley Charles, Elder and Advisor on Aboriginal Relations, will report to the Vice President, Student and Community Engagement. This restructuring is consistent with federal, provincial and institutional direction recognizing the priority of advancing Indigenous student success and access to culturally relevant education opportunities. To read the full announcement, click here.
- Congratulations to Shelley on being awarded with a Master's Degree in Indigenous Philosophy in August 2015! It is a first of it's kind through a partnership with Seven Generations Education Institute and the World Indigenous Nations University. Read more of the congratulation from Humber's VP of Community and Student Engagment, Jason Hunter.
- 2014 was a big year for Humber College and the Aboriginal Resource Centre. Humber signed the Indigenous Education Protocol which outlines seven principles that are designed to guide Humber's existing and future programs for Aboriginal students! To read more click here!
The Seven Grandfather Gifts
Honouring our Indigneous Roots and Future Commitments