< Back to Classroom - Designing Instruction
Why use Cases?
Learning with cases provides several benefits for students:
- They experience moments of crisis and explore opportunities in a safe environment, getting a taste of what it’s like to function in a work environment.
- They learn to apply theories and tools taught in class to a real world situation, synthesizing information.
- They develop problem solving skills relevant to their field of study.
Teaching with cases provides several benefits for teachers:
- Students are engaged by the real world dimension of the materials.
- Students are responsible for their own learning, empowered to engage with the class materials.
- Cases are fully developed teaching tools rich in detail that flesh out a situation much more than materials we can typically create for our own classes.