- Bring your own lunch to school
- Avoid Late Service Charges:
- If OSAP is not dispersed before tuition is due, pay your tuition by credit card to save the $75.00 late fee
- Give yourself an allowance. Withdraw a certain set amount from your bank account every week and don’t go over it! Be aware of how much you are spending! Track your spending!
- Don’t hang out with big spenders
- Spend less than you earn!
- Stop buying on impulse
- Give up bad habits like smoking or drinking expensive coffee
- Learn the art of the Cheap Date! Take advantage of the great outdoors, go for coffee, Cook dinner at home, see a Matinee, attend campus events.
- If you live in residence and have a meal plan, budget how much that meal plan works out to per day to avoid running out too early or having too much left over at the end.
- Living off campus – look for an 8 month lease
- Search for student discount shops
- Pay your credit card bills on-time; avoid late service charges
- Rely on public transportation instead of owning your own vehicle – many public transportation companies offer discounts to students. Tickets are available at a discounted price at the Humber Bookstore.
- Ride a bike instead of driving or taking public transport
- Carpool for long trips home
- Save on long distance calls by using Skype
- Use Humber’s athletics facilities as opposed to external gyms
- Create a grocery shopping list and avoid over-buying just to throw out later.
- Buy food in bulk!
- Cook on your own as much as you can – avoid eat at restaurants as much as possible
- Buy used text-books for your programs
- Check out the Rent-a-Textbook Program at Humber’s Bookstore!
- Know your cost of living! Create a realistic budget to approximate your monthly and yearly housing costs. Don’t be caught off-guard by higher than expected living expenses!
- Miscellaneous (toiletries, bedding, cleaning products)
- Use Humber’s online budget calculator
Top Ten Money Saving Tips- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zG39XWV6vo
The Moneyless Person’s Guide to Daily Living- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiALQD97Ru8
Money Saving Tips for Students Ep 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUTcSnggYRc
Asda – Saving Money Tips for students- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NBYF5MYvZw
Learn more smart ways to manage your money http://www.fundyourfuture.ca/manageyourmoney/financialadvice.aspx
RBC Royal Bank:
5 Ways to Save $25 http://www.betterstudentlife.ca/articles/5-ways-to-save-25-dollars.asp