With Humber’s Child and Youth Care – Accelerated advanced diploma program, you can enjoy the rewards of a career where you make a meaningful difference in the lives of children and youth by:
– understanding and learning about the complex challenges faced by children, youth and families, due to factors such as socioeconomic concerns, mental health or cognitive issues or developmental challenges
– building on strengths and capacities, and working collaboratively in ways that respect peoples unique physical, cultural and social contexts
– developing therapeutic relationships
– utilizing daily life events as opportunities to promote and facilitate positive change
– seeking out and connecting children, youth and their families with relevant, culturally specific and appropriate community resources
– working as part of an inter-professional team.
Our graduates encounter a field with opportunities in a variety of settings, including:
– Children’s Aid Societies
– community-based child and youth development programs
– parent education and family support
– school-based programs
– youth and women’s shelters
– open custody group homes for young offenders
– residential and day treatment programs in children’s mental health centres
– psychiatric hospitals
– early intervention and prevention programs.
After direct service work, your choices expand to include more specialized or supervisory positions if you hold a degree as well as a CYC diploma.