Agencies in Canada and abroad are in need of skilled individuals to write policy, advocate to developed nation’s governments and to manage their programs around the world. In addition, global disasters, conflict and climate change create an enormous need for humanitarian assistance and for the people who can deliver it.
The International Development program will prepare you for a variety of career paths. As most of the work is contract based, one can expect to have a variety of positions over a multi-year career. Some of our recent graduates have gone on to be:
– liaison to the US Mission at World Food Programme, based in Rome
– relief co-ordinator for Samaritan’s Purse, based in Calgary with frequent travel
– communications officer for World Vision Canada, based in Mississauga
– program manager for a major UK charity, based in Moshi, Tanzania
– founder of their own NGO, based in Toronto and Nairobi, Kenya.
The potential is limitless.
Our Industry Partnerships
Humber works closely with agencies such as World Vision, Plan Canada, Save the Children Canada, Global Medic and many others.
You will gain industry experience and build your international development network with an eight-week (minimum) work placement within the development sector. Many students choose to do this placement overseas. Students find a placement with an appropriate organization with the program co-ordinator’s support. The educational foundation for the work placement is established over the winter semester.