Here are some frequently asked questions and answers.
If there is a question not answered please contact us! We would love to hear from you.
- Who can join FYE?
FYE is open to all Humber and Guelph-Humber first year students!
- Why Should I Join?
- IT’S FREE!!! - Improve your grades! - Meet a senior student knowledgeable on your program! - Get connected to others within your program! - Attend exclusive socials and events! - Have fun and more! - Have questions answered quickly! - Get additional academic support! - Inside scoop on program information! - Meet new people! - Gain new skills & experiences! - Get an advantage in the job market!
- Can I be an FYE Peer Mentor?
Upper year Humber/Guelph-Humber students who are in good academic standing with a minimum GPA of 70% are eligible to apply to be Peer Mentors. Learn more about becoming a FYE Peer Mentor
- What do FYE Peer Mentors do?
They keep in touch with you on-line, arrange get-togethers at the school, organize study groups, and even plan exclusive social events for you too! Peer Mentors are here to make sure you have the easiest transition possible into college life - and to hang out with you too!
- I just registered for FYE. When will I get contacted by my mentor?
Mentees will be contacted by their mentors on Contact Day around the middle of September. Check your email regularly after you register as we will be sending you more information regarding Contact Day at the beginning of the semester.
- When does the FYE program start?
The FYE program officially begins typically the beginning of September with our FYE Mix &Mingle event. However, students can register at any time in the Fall Semester. The program will begin again in January for the Winter Semester.
- Where can I find information about upcoming FYE events?
You can check out our FYE Events Page, social media (hyperlink), or ask your mentor about all of our upcoming events!
- What happens after I get matched with a mentor?
- What if I can’t attend an FYE workshop or event because it conflicts with my class schedule?
If you are unable to attend one or more of our scheduled workshops, you can contact us and we will be more than happy to schedule a one-on-one workshop with you.
- How often do I have to meet or contact my mentor?
Mentors are encouraged to keep in contact with their mentees on a regular basis. However, it is up to you to determine how often you want to engage in the mentoring relationship. Remember that your peer mentor will always be available to you. The more you engage with your mentor, the better your experience will be! We strongly encourage you to keep in touch with your mentor as often as you can.
- Is there a fee for joining FYE?
NO! ALL FYE EVENTS AND SERVICES ARE 100% FREE!
- Could FYE improve my grades?
Yes. Research has shown that students who get involved in "high impact practices" (Kuh, 2008) such as first year experience programs like FYE, will show improved grades in comparison with students that have not participated in these programs (Salinitri, 2005).
- Could FYE Help Me Get a Job?
Yes. Studies have also indicated that co-curricular involvement, such as the participation in high impact practices like FYE, is seen as valuable by employers (Canadian Association of Career Educators & Employers, 2012)."Respondents’ also place a slightly higher premium on co-curricular involvement than on academic performance" (CACEE, 2012).
- What is the FYE Raffle Program?
All Humber/Guelph-Humber students are eligible to participate in the FYE Raffle program to win thousands of dollars’ worth of cool prizes. Previous prizes included Smart TVs, Fitbits, iPad minis, Beats Headphones and much more! You can collect raffle tickets by: • Attending a Learning Skills Workshop • Meeting and connecting with your mentor • Attending any FYE event There’s no limit to the number of raffle tickets you can earn! If you are unable to make it to our Raffle Event, we can arrange for you to pick up any prizes won. Questions? Contact us!